Wonder Woman seemed to have a lot of problems with the Justice League in the 1970s. Not only were the members bizarrely suspicious and confrontational with her, but the writers weren’t particularly welcoming either.
At one point she is allowed to re-join the League on a trial basis only. It gets so bad that the League members actually become the narrators of Wonder Woman’s own solo title, in which they discuss her trial status:
This goes on for 11 issues — nearly a full year of Wonder Woman’s solo title is narrated by JLA members debating whether she’s worthy of the League. No League member has ever been subjected to such scrutiny before or since.
Top: Justice League of America #138 (1976) cover by Ernie Chan (as Ernie Chua).
Bottom: Wonder Woman #212 (1974) cover by Bob Oksner
The worst part is that Diana devised the idea for the trials herself. Then, when she felt they continued to test her, she went apeshit, was overtaken by the Construct, and beat the crap out of Superman. It was satisfying to see as a kid, but not so fun to realize they had to make her an angry feminazi type to make the story work.
Green Arrow, who was an antagonist to both Wonder Woman and Hawkman at the time, and fomented the Diana-goes-apeshit episode, eventually buried the hatchet with Carter, but there was never any resolution with Diana.
It’s interesting that the whole mind-control, identity-crisis thing was a very popular trope with female superheroes in the ’70s. Diana’s trials with the JLA stemmed from the fact that she seemed unsure of her own mind and memories.
The same thing was happening with Ms. Marvel at the time, who was having a Kree-induced identity crisis and was also mind-wiped by MODOK:
I seem to recall Black Widow having similar problems after being brainwashed by the Russians, and then not trusting herself:
Spider-Woman also went through a pretty traumatic period of missing memories, never sure of who she was:
Hell, even Valkyrie, the mythical fucking spirit of vengeance, didn’t know who she was:
Black Canary was having a slightly different issue — she knew who she was, but she was actually afraid to use her superpower because she couldn’t control it properly:
Was this a backlash against increasingly vocal and, in some cases, radical feminist movement? Unconscious bias on the part of male writers, who felt unsure of themselves in writing women? Maybe both? Anyway it was a huge trend in the 1970s that women were not allowed to be strong and also know who they are and be sure of themselves.
It might look like someone taking their life into their own hands, but thankfully this lake is the only place in the world where you can swim safely amongst millions of jellyfish.
In ‘Jellyfish Lake’ on the Pacific island of Palau, swimmers can take a dip surrounded by thousands of the normally harmful marine animals which have all lost their sting.
The lake was once connected to the Pacific Ocean, but when the sea level dropped, the jellyfish became isolated in the algae-rich lake and have not had to defend themselves from predators.
As a result, their population has thrived, and the eight million jellyfish now in the lake have all lost their sting.
Tourists can now swim alongside the jellyfish in the 12,000-year-old lake, one of around 200 saline marine lakes now identified worldwide.
If a dead ancestor doesn’t appear in the sky to stop me, it can’t be that bad of a decision
Some 4,000 years ago a young woman’s cremated bones – charred scraps of her shroud and the wood from her funeral pyre still clinging to them – was carefully wrapped in a fur along with her most valuable possessions, packed into a basket, and carried up to one of the highest and most exposed spots on Dartmoor, where they were buried in a small stone box covered by a mound of peat.
The discovery of her remains is rewriting the history of the bronze age moor. The bundle contained a treasury of unique objects: a tin bead and 34 tin studs, which are the earliest evidence of metal-working in the south-west; textiles, including a unique nettle fibre belt with a leather fringe; jewellery, including amber from the Baltic and shale from Whitby; and wooden ear studs, which are the earliest examples of wood turning ever found in Britain. Read more.
Marvel’s super soldiers, the dorks.
[From Deadpool #24, 2014.]
Jesus fucking christ are these people for real.
Yes, Cathy Brennan is very much real.
Also very much a social conservative and very much using anti gay resources to further her genocidal goals.
Also a habitual liar.
Oh gosh…first I thought that “create” meant “socially construct”…in which case I would have nodded and thought that…sure, changes to the gender game mechanics will have an impact on our society and our lives and so on.
But I didn’t know this was Brennan (I try to stay away from bigots) and I also didn’t know that by “gender options” she is referring to the fact that I can custom choose a binary gender in a video game.
Oh balderdash, this hurts.
Se here’s the thing… a lot of gender-crits are putting HUGE amounts of rhetorical effort into recasting trans identity (especially transfeminine identity) as this totally *new* thing that just happened yesterday. You’ll see people blame Tumblr for creating it, in the 90s people were blaming internet message boards for creating it. You’ll see similar claims from their allies in the religious right. It’s yet another way for non-trans people to regain control of the language of our existence and history.
In this case it’s classic “recasting the symptom as the disease” fallacy. Yes there’s a lot of trans folks involved with video games; there’s a whole hell of a lot of *everyone* involved in that field. It’s profitable and it’s fun.
But also; like Tumblr, like internet message boards, like other tech fields that trans folks seem to gravitate towards, it’s a chance to have some control over narrative that is largely stolen and held away from us from people invested in keeping us marginalized.
Plus, Christ, they’re games. It’s fun.
I finally processed the information on the leads for the top 250 grossing films (I’m going to do 500 in all), and I have some really, really great facts:
- Of the films, 209 starred a straight white man, or had a straight white male voice actor. This translates to 83.6% of all these films having a straight white male protagonist.
- This left only 41 films with a protagonist who was a person of colour and/or woman (no films had a queer protagonist). This translated to 16.4% of all the films.
- "So what? Straight white men are the majority group in America." a) no, the largest demographic group in America is actually technically straight white women, and b) not by 83.6% they fucking aren’t.
- If we look at American demographics (America is where these films are being made and mostly marketed for, after all) we find that only 31.3% of people in the USA are straight white men, while 68.7% are not.
- This means that 31.3% of the US population is recieving 83.6% of the representation, and the remaining 68.7% majority are squabbling over the remaining 16.4%. That’s unbelievably, amazingly shit.
BUT: The world isn’t split into straight white men and everyone else, so let’s break this down further. Of the 41 films left over for the rest of us:
- 10 starred a straight black man. (8 of these leads were played by Will Smith.), making up 2.5% of all the films.
- 26 starred a straight white woman, making up 10.4% of all the films.
- 2 films starred straight South Asian men, making up 0.8% of the films.
- 1 film starred an East Asian man and 1 starred a Middle Eastern man - 0.4% of the films each.
- A grand total of ONE of the 250 highest grossing films of all time stars a woman of colour. Scraping in at number 242, and made in 1995, it’s Pocahontas; which is racist as fuck and demeans the memory of a real Native American woman. Fantastic. It’ll also probably have fallen out of the top 250 by the next year, while no other films with WoC leads seem likely to replace it.
- This means that huge demographic groups are missing. 16.3% of people in the US identify as Latin@, and not a single film on this list has a Latin@ protagonist.
- Roughly 10% of the US identifies as LGBT+. None of these films has a queer protagonist.
- The reason that these films are so high grossing is because of the marketing they recieve. Studios are putting all of their money into films with straight white men, preventing casting of women and people of colour and just generally fucking people over; but this isn’t any necessary indication of what people are willing to see at all. It’s worth noting that the single most successful actor on that list is Will Smith. People are clearly willing to pay out money to watch Will Smith doing stuff, and studios are backing this and enabling more and more films of Will Smith (and his son) doing more and more stuff. His popularity shows fairly clearly that cinemagoers are definitely willing to watch (and probably actively demanding of, seeing as people of colour and white women are more likely to go to the cinema) men of colour in film, and the success of franchises such as Twilight and The Hunger Games shows audiences backing white women (women of colour have yet to be given a real chance). As such, we can definitively say that this is especially a problem with Hollywood, and withe the people making these films - a problem which obviously needs to change.
Tl; dr: Representation in Hollywood is really, really shit.
- Straight white men are 31.3% of the population, 83.6% of the leads. Lucky bastards.
- People of colour are 28.6% of the population, 6.4% of the leads (2.8% if you remove Will Smith, thanks Will.)
- Women are 51% of the population, 10.8% of the leads.
- There’s no intersection here. If you’re a woman of colour, a queer woman and/or queer person of colour, then you’re getting fuck all.
Just in case you had any doubt of just how little representation most of the population are getting.
EIGHT OF THE TEN FILMS STARRING A STRAIGHT BLACK MAN AS LEAD WERE PLAYED BY WILL SMITH
THANK U WILL SMITH